Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Name is Russell Fink by Michael Snyder

Two books starting with "My Name is..." in two posts.  Kind of weird.  

As mentioned in my first post, I read Russell Fink when I had a colicky baby for 17 straight weeks at all hours of the day, so I didn't really remember it.

Now I remember why I didn't remember it in the first place.  I didn't love the ending.  I will say I love books that have a nice little ending wrapped up with a bow on top, but I also love books that leave me thinking and letting my imagination wander.  This book was at the in-between place of what happened and what might happen.  I just didn't love it. 

I liked it okay.  On the goodreads scale it was a 2.  

So it's about a 20-something guy, who hates his job as a copier salesman, has hypochondria and always thinks he's going to die, has a crazy fiancee, and a sweet dog that somehow ends up dead. His family is dysfunctional - mom's an alcoholic, dad's a preacher, brother's a bit nuts.  There is definitely some humor in it, but it's kind of all over the place when it comes to the writing.

My next book club book is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  And I'm also reading Janet Evanovich's  High Five - it's a guilty pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment